I recently installed Tomcat 7 and got it working with Eclipse Helios on Mac OSX Lion.
- Install Homebrew:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/gist/323731)"
- Install Tomcat:
sudo brew install tomcat
- Test the Tomcat install by starting the server:
sudo catalina start
- Set it so that you can start it without using sudo:
sudo chgrp -R your_user_name
sudo chmod -R g+rw /usr/local/Cellar/tomcat/
- Stop the Tomcat server (if you have not already):
sudo catalina stop
- Test the change to the file permissions for Tomcat by starting the server as yourself without sudo:
- Stop the Tomcat server (we want Eclipse to do the starting and stopping):
- In Eclipse, open the 'Servers' view and add a new Tomcat server. Key point is to make sure to change the name of the server so that it does not contain any spaces! If you don't have a 'Servers' view, you need to go download 'Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers'.
- All done! You should now be able to start and stop Tomcat from Eclipse. :)